Monday, August 8, 2011

Photoshop Fail

Don't get me wrong, I like make up, I like to do my hair, and i like to look my best. (except I hate curling irons now. Yesterday there was an accidental drop of a hot curling iron on my face. = big maroon slash across my cheek) But when I look at any magazine I absolutely hate what I see. Photoshop is everywhere and creates an unrealistic ideal of what women should look like. It makes me worried for my nieces and possibly my future daughters. The beauty and fashion industry are ruining what real women look like and are creating negative body image.

Confession: I have freckles. When I go out in the sun, even with sunscreen my face and body become freckled. I hated these little brown skin 'blemishes' when I was little, and I just have barely come to grips that I will always have them and that I love them. I'm 22 and have barely come to this conclusion. For the most part this is from my own insecurities, but I bet the the fashion industry did not help with photoshopping plastic looking skin onto the models.

Maybe this whole thing is on my mind because I just finished a research paper about eating disorders and negative body image, specifically in adolescent dancers. But for real!!! Stop photoshopping! http://www.beautyredefined.net/physically-photoshopping-ourselves-out-of-reality/

No comments:

Post a Comment