Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Things I've Learned in College

I graduate in about 1.5 months, and it's so surreal. I've been waiting for this moment since I was a Sophomore and now that's it's here, I honestly can't believe it. I've been thinking about what I've learned, so I decided to put together a list, both funny and serious. Here goes.

- Dancers are a very different breed of human, in the best possible way.
- Sometimes the mistakes and the unplanned are the most beautiful.
- I've never been more proud of myself than making it through technique class some days.
- Speaking of technique class, it is very possible to dance with little sleep and a major headache, but I wouldn't recommend it.
- Going back to the basics is often times essential for growth.
- Much of the population know absolutely nothing about modern dance, nor will they ever try to understand it or see it as a valid form of education. I have learned to accept this. (Although it still makes me upset deep down.)
- I honestly believe that I have learned more about myself, my body, my relationships, and the way I handle different situations through dance than I could have studying anything else. It has opened my eyes to new experiences and challenges.
- I have learned that when you're discouraged, you must always keep going and have a good attitude about it. Your grade depends on it. :)
- Even if I could have had the opportunity, I would never dance with Martha Graham. She terrifies me.
- Nothing can compare to the bonds and friendships you make while dancing. You get to know someone on a whole new level.
- In a front attitude, your Sartorius muscle is in a concentric contraction.
- I don't know what it'll be like to not be sore or have a bruise somewhere.
- Production, music and rhythm, dance technology, and so much dance history.
- I've learned how to become a good (hopefully) dance teacher, through classes and mentors.
- Contact improv still scares me to death, but now I have the basic skills to try.
- It is normal to walk into the dance building and see people laying on the floor, walking around with no shoes on, lying in 'unnatural' positions, and dancing in a corner by themselves with headphones on.

There is so much more, but I won't bore you with more. I can't explain how much this program has changed me for the better and I'm so happy that I made the decision to be a dance major.

1 comment:

  1. I think the mark of a good education isn't (just) the professional skills you get, but the personal growth. Go Lis! Can't wait to see the fruits of your labors in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete